George Kyriacou is a Senior Content/Communications Expert with more than 20 years of know-how and advanced skills in journalism, content strategy and new technologies in the framework of the EU institutions. His expertise includes crafting compelling copy for both news content and official/legal documentation formats. One of his earlier content responsibilities in the new technologies’ domain was to provide the editorial management, graphic interface consultancy and content development of Eurostat’s websites between 2000 and 2003.
During his tenure with DG Environment, George was also responsible for the content creation, editing and proofreading of the news segment of the DG’s sections for Civil Responsibility, Climate Change, Biodiversity, and the Green Capitals. A larger part of his tasks included acting as the principle blogmaster, audiovisual and social media manager for Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas between 2008 -2009.
Between 2009 and 2012 – where George was recruited as EIGE’s first communication officer (EU executive agency European Institute for Gender Equality) – he was tasked with the development of its communication strategy, two Drupal-based websites, and an intranet for personnel, while also being the agency’s main point of contact with the English, Spanish, Greek and French speaking media. Up until 2011, George was responsible for managing the agency’s Twitter profile, YouTube account, Facebook page and Flickr account. In 2009 and 2010, he planned and coordinated the entire social media messaging platform (scheduled tweets and Facebook media and posted articles) for EIGE’s opening ceremonies (a Vilnius-based opening for the public – as well as an official, political opening with Vice President Reding).
- From 2016-2018, George’s Team Leader role as Head of Content and Dissemination for a DG Employment programme (EURES), provided him with the complete supervision of all online and print articles and interviews with Employment policymakers and jobseekers across the world. His average monthly written output amounted to 110articles.
- From 2018-2019, George’s Team Leader role for a European Investment Bank (EIB) programme (fi-compass), undertook the total supervision of a team of 4 Key Experts (Capacity Building, Digital Communication and Awareness Raising) in addition to a team of more than 120 Non-Key Experts across a Consortium of 4 different companies. His role focused on a number of remits, of which the most relevant included
- Ultimate accountability for quality and successful delivery of the fi-compass project
- Provision of strategic views towards smooth project development
- Monitoring of all other Key Experts performance and quality of deliverables (assignments)
- From 2019-2020, George was assigned a Senior Non-Key Expert role as Communications and Visibility Expert for a technical assistance project set-up to strengthen the capacities for the overall planning preparation and implementation of infrastructure projects in Albania, under the supervision of the European Union Delegation, in Tirana.
- Since the end of 2019, George also works as the project acquisition director of a Global PR Network that is present in 40 countries in all EU Neighbourhood countries, Central Asia, and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, and is responsible for a number of ongoing projects including, notably:
- Provision of consultancy services to support EIB media communication |Lot 1: Communication support services for the Western Balkans
- EU4Digital: Improving Cyber Resilience in the Eastern Partnership Countries – Cybersecurity component | Eastern Neighbourhood partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine)
- EU4Georgia III: increasing awareness, understanding, and support for the EU and its activities in Georgia, particularly among Georgian audiences through a coherent and effective public communication setting out what the EU and Georgia are committed to achieving in Georgia, and why it is important
- EU Delegation in Syria: Social Media & Digital Communication Services | Social Media Community Management, Content creation, Content promotion